Thursday, June 17, 2010

The vlaue of one's commitment

A random thought. Not so random, actually, but top of mind.
  • Responsible
  • Reliable.
  • Consistent.
  • Dependable.
  • Committed.
When I commit to something, I follow through. I come to work every day, even on the days when that is a terrible struggle. If I say I'm going to be somewhere or do something, I do it.

Lately, I'm in the midst of unreliable people who pay lipservice to their commitments but their promises only have staying power until something more interesting presents itself.

There are priorities, sure, but I'm not talking about the last-minute emergency or once-in-a-blue-moon opportunity. I'm talking about people who are most committed to what interests them in the moment.

Maybe it isn't even the lack of dependability or reliability that has me feeling so resentful. I think it's that I am surrounded by people who think it is perfectly OK to bail out on any plan, any commitment, any promise--and to do it at any time unapologetically.

Is this who we've become as a culture, or have I just been trying too hard to maintain my integrity all these years?

No comments: