Monday, July 12, 2010

So far, but not really

A steroid. The latest medication to come my way is a mineralcorticoid:

Fludrocortisone, a corticosteroid, is used to help control the amount of sodium and fluids in your body. It is used to treat Addison's disease and syndromes where excessive amounts of sodium are lost in the urine.
I'm not too sure about this. The list of possible side effects is long. Most important, though, is it causes weight gain.

So much for the 25 pounds I lost since December. I still had another 15 pounds to go until I was only "seriously overweight" and not obese. How will I achieve my goal of 104 pounds if I have to take this medication?

The doctor prescribed it because she feels it will help my adrenal insufficiency and eventually cure my deep fatigue. It sounded benign when she described it, but having looked it up, I'm not convinced.

On a similar note, I've started having ophthalmic migraines again, at least once a week. It started before the new medication. It's a form of vasospasm. Hmmm. Isn't that what my chest pain was supposed to be? Of course, the asshole cardiologist (in lieu of an actual exam), said that I'm just mentally ill and my vasospasms are an attention-seeking issue.

So, if I drop dead from a stroke, I'll be sure to have Frank let you and the cardiologist know.

No comments: