Sunday, November 7, 2010

If I just try harder

I picked up a copy of People magazine today. I don't know why--it's not my usual reading fare unless I'm in a doctor's waiting room.

The cover story was about Porti DeRossi and how at one point, she successfully dieted down to 82 pounds. It was inspiring, really. She was very dedicated and disciplined, and the more weight she lost, she got an incredible amount of positive feedback and encouragement at work. She started at 115 pounds, but was considered fat for being in the public eye, so she did something about it.

Thank you for telling your story, Portia. It was inspiring. I am now further galvanized in my resolve to achieve the American ideal. The retail world puts larger sizes in dark, hidden corners of stores for a reason. Being anything other than a curveless, vertical shape is so reviled, how can anyone bear to not at least be trying to be physically "less"?

People will feign shock at an 82-pound woman, but let's be honest--that kind of weight and body shape are really very valued in America.

Portia, I'm going to try harder to get my weight closer to double-digits the way you did.

Today was a total failure. Although I did exercise this morning, I wish I had read Portia's story before I had:
Coffee
Scrambled egg whites
1 slice of cheese
3 fingerling potatoes
6 0z. orange juice

1 bowl miso soup with cabbage
a slice 70-calorie lowfat cheese

a glass of wine
10 small lowfat raviolis
1/3 cup fat-free spaghetti sauce
green salad
1/3 cup sugar-free applesauce
Maybe tomorrow and going forward I can cut that in half. I feel pretty disgusting right now, but I'm not a purger, so I have to live with this shame and failure for now.

Monday is a new day, and the plan is:
1 packet oatmeal
1/4 cup lowfat yogurt
coffee

1 bowl miso soup with cabbage & seaweed

green salad w/egg white

Resolve. Discipline. Come on, May. Focus. Don't be a pig.

2 comments:

Ethereal Highway said...

You are NOT a failure. Be careful. Please be careful. Though for me it was not about being thin, this was me and I was in SO MUCH pain inside.
http://spillinginkinpublic.blogspot.com/2007/10/its-not-about-being-thin.html

Please don't let that happen to you. You are a good and wonderful person, May. I don't want anything bad to happen to you. Your bloodwork is good, remember? Losing more weight does not have to be fast. It's usually not healthy and sustainable when it's fast anyway. You are valuable RIGHT NOW, even though you have extra pounds. That does not diminish you as a person. Not to anybody worth worrying about. Don't let the majority poison your mind. Please. To hell with them, May. Be in this for YOU.

Please be nice to yourself. You deserve health AND kindness.

May Voirrey said...

I can't even begin to like myself unless I am skinny. It's really the only way I can quiet that inner voice in my head that berates me all day long. I am realistic enough to know that voice didn't come out of nowhere--it merely echoes the louder voice of the modern world. the real world. the world in which I live and am judged.