Tuesday, October 11, 2011

It's just that time of year

I have been doing the same exact work for 15 years. One-and-a-half decades. I don't mean, working in the same field, I mean, quite exactly, the same two jobs at the same exact place. Well, except for when my office got moved down the hall, which means my location changed the distance of half of a city block.

I don't dislike my job, exactly, yet I feel restless and bored. I've done all I can to make the tasks at hand as interesting as possible, but by now it's all just variations on a theme. Fifteen years is a long time with the same job title in a job that has absolutely no opportunity for advancement.

That didn't come out right. I'm not interested in advancement, just variety. The work needs to be interesting. It needs to engage me. My current jobs are something I could do in my sleep, although, to be clear, I don't phone it in.
Aside from the bad economy, a shrinking work force, blah, blah, blah, I'm 50 years old. I can't reinvent myself. Even if I could, what in the world would I do for a living? And by that I mean an actual, income-generating, mortgage-paying income.

May needs to win the lottery. No--the Powerball.

No comments: