Thursday, May 17, 2018

We agree to disagree

Frank believes my ketogenic diet is going to kill me. He said that the weight loss--I'm down 23 pounds--is surely coming at a terrible price. Frank won't accept that this is OK until he sees my blood work. He's sure that a high-fat diet that allows me to eat copious amounts of bacon, oil, avocados, butter, and eggs can't possibly be harmless. He's sure I'm clogging my arteries and ramping up my cholesterol to unhealthy levels.

I've tried to explain that dietary cholesterol doesn't really have an impact on blood cholesterol. That's all left to genetics and individuals' livers.

Here's the thing. I have a weight goal of 105-110 pounds and I think I can get there. I will gladly accept losing another 60 pounds from where I am right now, which will get me to pretty much the upper end of my goal weight, but it's a healthy weight--and admirable.

If this diet is harming me, so be it. I will go on record as saying that in the most fat-shaming society on the planet, I would rather die a skinny person than live as a fat one. If it kills me, it kills me, but by god, I will be thin when it does. Isn't being skinny really the very most important thing, medically? Why do you get weighed at the doctor's office? Why does the doctor tsk-tsk over a weight that's not ideal? Nobody cares about my blood pressure or my cholesterol. If you're thin, then you have achieved the American ideal of health--because you don't look like a big fat fucking failure.

Please pass the coconut oil.

No comments: