Monday, May 4, 2020

The never-ending Florida

I'm still in Florida. It has been 56 days. I don't know when I'll be home. I'm starting to know my way around, even though I don't go out much. I know where the Goodwill next to the new tax office is and specifically, where to drop off donations. I know I prefer the Disston Plaza Publix to the Winn Dixie on 54th. I've made some friends here-- that feels surreal.

Metro Diner's breakfast is pretty great, even when delivered a little late via DoorDash. The Home Depot on 22nd Ave. is always too busy, even at 6:30 in the morning during a pandemic. Haines Rd. always seems to confuse me--something about running on the diagonal and halves of intersections that are blocks away from each other. Jacaranda trees in bloom are one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

I went to my first open-air laundromat today--having never known they existed before this. Gas at the Wawa south of Walgreen's at 38th and 34th was only $1.71 today, and I can't wrap my brain around that. I got my mom out of Freedom Square just before they got slammed with COVID-19 and 17 people died (so far). When I no longer needed navigation help to get there, I knew it was time to get Mom back to her own home as rehab wasn't doing much, anyway.

The FedEx store at 4th and 52nd was extremely busy when I was there today making copies. That surprised me, just as I've been surprised every time I headed out of the house that the roads were busy, busy, busy. If you didn't know there was a pandemic going on, you certainly wouldn't figure it out from Floridians' behavior.


The people at Haines Road Animal Hospital are incredibly helpful. I like the sign near the pharmacy drive-through.

I prefer the pizza from Fortunato's to any other I've had here. If I don't get to Mazzaro's Italian Market before I leave, that will be criminal--it's just down the street.

The people at Accord Home Medical Supply are just gems. Total Wine delivers and has helped me keep my sanity. I've learned what number most of the channels I watch are on Spectrum's service.

I want to go home.

No comments: