Saturday, October 3, 2009

May needs a hobby

If I am to believe what I read, social isolation and a lack of interest in activities are key indicators of an unhealthy mind. Just raising the mere suspicion of being a mental outlier can find you sitting shoeless under the watchful eye of an armed guard when you least suspect it.

I haven't made any strides at all in allowing relationships into my life; in fact, I've put more effort into keeping people away from me. A hobby is in order. I don't want the thought police to use my lifestyle against me. OK, I already have a hobby--jewelrymaking--but lately I enjoy buying beads far more than I enjoy sitting still and focusing the way making jewelry requires.

Sunday is soapmaking day. I signed up for a class and it cost enough that I can't decide not to go. the truth is, I signed up for two classes in two different places. tomorrow is "cooked" soap, and at the end of the month there will be a class on cold-process soap.

If I really like this and I have an aptitude for it, maybe I'll start a business: “Soaps for the Psyche: We're crazy about soap.” My soaps will be infused with herbs, botanicals, and maybe a few leftover meds that lend unusual therapeutic qualities or, at least, inspire good names that imply those qualities:
  • Inner Calm Cakes
  • Bipolar Bubbles
  • OCD Enabler
  • Serotonin Suds
  • The Soap, Not the Rope!
  • Mood Lifter Lather
  • Cog-Fog Cleaner
  • Soooap—It’s-About-Time-You-Worked-Up-The-Enthusiasm-To-Take-A-Shower-And-Change-Your-Clothes
  • Slippery Slope Soap (Cleans up emotional baggage)
  • Better Than Therapy Bar
  • Showers of Happiness
  • A Whiff of Hope Soap
  • Mania Mender (sold in bulk); and,
  • Depression Circling the Drain.
I'm going to need a bigger crock pot.

2 comments:

Ethereal Highway said...

The way I'v ebeen feeling lately, I want this bar:

Soooap—It’s-About-Time-You-Worked-Up-The-Enthusiasm-To-Take-A-Shower-And-Change-Your-Clothes

Sophie in the Moonlight said...

I liked "Soap not the Rope". If you can find a way to infuse that much goodness into a lather, I'll buy some from you.