Sunday, April 18, 2010

It's always something

Where to begin?

The acupuncturist says that in Chinese medicine, pain around the heart is the result of cumulative trauma, either emotional or physical. In other words, my heart really is broken. I've moved on, but my heart is just getting started.

My new primary care doctor says I'm in the grip of something called Prinzmetal's angina, or coronary artery spasms. They don't sound very serious to me. Well, it could lead to a heart attack, but that's not usually the case.

I am not afraid to drop dead of a heart attack. I am afraid to continue living in pain for decades. That's a truly scary thought.

In a few weeks, I'll have an appointment with a cardiologist. I chose a doctor from a list my primary care doctor gave me. He has a ponytail. He meditates. He took percussion lessons at a school that works to preserve Pakistani and Indian musical traditions. He should fit right in with the rest of my team.

That is, if I go to the appointment. Apparently, I'll need an angiogram. OK, not just the catheter procedure, but an enhanced version where the doctor chemically induces a coronary artery spasm in order to measure the severity of the situation.

Woooo. Big fun. I might have to skip that particular field trip.

No comments: