Monday, February 28, 2011

Something to ponder

Recently I was reading a post on a blog and I came across a list of qualities two mothers had agreed they wanted their children to have as they became independent thinking individuals. The list is:
1) Be people that other people choose to spend time with
2) Be empathetic
3) Be generous
4) Be forthright and honest
5) Be authentic
6) Be a contributor, not a consumer

I'm sure my parents didn't put any thought into the kinds of people my siblings and I should become, other than hard-woring and embracing concepts of common sense. The list resonated with me because many years ago, I, personally, decided to be mindful of how I should present myself to the world and what impact my behavior might have.

I decided to try to be a good person, a kind and compassionate person, and someone who can respond to need, preferably without the loud clatter of judgment to distract me toward that end.

For the most part, I have succeeded. I'm no moral giant by any means, but I do try to take the high road by habit, even when that hill is painfully steep and I'm traveling alone.

Despite my attempts at adding value to the world, I have failed miserably regarding the first trait on this list: 1) Be people that other people choose to spend time with.

I have tried, grown, and evolved throughout my life, but I remain infinitely dorky and undesirable, nonetheless. Or, maybe I need to dial down #4.

No comments: