Sunday, February 5, 2012

The lonely place under the house

Here's the problem with the basement. No mater how hard I try to straighten up, declutter, and organize my parts of the basement, I don't seem to make any progress. In all fairness, I own a lot of teeny, tiny crafting supplies, and I hate to put them away. It's so tedious. Knitting would have been easier, but I have no aptitude for it (yarn, yes, aptitude, definitely not).

Today I spent hours trying to put together an area where I can craft and create. Heaven knows, writing hasn't been coming to me lately, so I need to do something productive. Yet, even after making a lot of progress on the project at hand, I still don't feel in a creative state of mind.

It's the basement. I get lonely down there. My mind wanders and I think dark, depressing thoughts. Did I mention I get lonely? There's some sort of heavy vibe downstairs that I can't adequately describe, nor can I escape it when I'm there. It's not a happy place, no matter how much I want it to be.

Is it the fault of the hideous knotty-pine paneling? The dark-brown-with-colorful-speckles flooring? The clutter? The Wii that reminds me I have no one to play with? The Pilates reformer and all of the fitness gear I feel uninspired to use? No, it's none of that.

I don't use the exercise equipment for the exact same reason I can't create when I'm down there: It's dark, depressing, and isolated.

No comments: