Sunday, September 7, 2008

45 Mercy Street

Anne Sexton died in her garage at age 45 as a result of self-induced carbon monoxide poisoning. Her poems haunt me, but I always come back to the first one I read, 45 Mercy Street. Sit in as many poetry circles as you like and discuss until the academic words run dry. To truly feel the weight of this poem, you have to understand loss that starts from inside and reveals itself out. You have to live it to know about this inside out life that makes you invisible to those who should only love you more.

I did not read Anne Sexton's work when I was in high school. I didn't read it in college. I came to it the way I come to most things I like: via the pulsing path of pop culture. Peter Gabriel introduced me to Sexton's work with his song, Mercy Street on the So album. The first time I heard the song, it was as if a grainy flash of familiar images played in my head like a home movie when the film is beginning to break down.

I knew who Anne Sexton was and I knew how she had died; I was not unaware of her as a writer. In high school I read Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar and found it at first incomprehensible. I compensated by re-reading it immediately. The second time was much better, but no less disturbing. Reading Plath's work over the next few years always left me feeling unsettled and little bit afraid of the chaos of the disordered mind. Maybe my neurotransmitters stirred a bit knowing what was eventually in store for me.

Why are you thinking about Sylvia and Anne at 1:15 in the morning, May? You're supposed to be looking for a good quiche recipe for tomorrow's brunch. Stop stalling. You can't get out of it, it's at your house. Smile a lot, look competent, make sure all of your medications are out of sight. Figure out the damn quiche.

Saturday night is the vast wasteland of television. Reruns. Infomercials. Some obscure movie with Demi, Bruce, and Glenne Headley. Flip, flip, flip. Billy Crudup. Why do I know him? Almost Famous. Yeah. What's this movie? Waking the Dead. Waking the Dead? The Scott Spencer novel was made into a movie? How did I manage to not know that? I actually like Scott Spencer's writing. I read Endless Love not because I was inspired by Brooke Shields' acting in the movie adaptation. I never made it more than half-way through the movie, but the book held my attention and felt worth my time.

Waking the Dead was sitting on a sale pile at Barnes and Noble. I saw it, saw the author's name, and bought it. I didn't even know that the story line involved the political fallout of the Pinochet regime's deep cleansing of popular opponents. Having lived in Chile at a time when the news was still scandalizing the car bombings of a former General and his wife in Argentina, followed soon after by a car bombing in Washington, DC involving a former Chilean diplomat and his female associate, the book had meanings within the storyline that wouldn't exist to the casual reader. I liked the book and the mood of it settled over me and draped heavily on my shoulders for weeks. Weeks.

The movie was nearly over when I found it, but I watched it anyway. Near the final scene, Mercy Street enters the soundtrack. As soon as I heard the first, deep notes, I started thinking about Anne Sexton. Peter Gabriel's song is nothing less than an homage to the poet.

Sexton's 45 Mercy Street makes me sad. I get it. Maybe that's why I stopped reading Sexton's work, and Sylvia Plath's, and Virginia Woolf's, as well. Sylvia was truly mad, and her writing was filled with bitterness and anger that became barbed wire tangled into words. Woolf was frustrated, an astute observer who was too incapacitated to participate. She knew it and it killed her. Anne Sexton, though, kept trying to lead a normal life, but her attempts never quite achieved the desired outcome. She was angry and frustrated, but the sadness still ripples through her writing in a way that leaves no doubt what was under her skin, coming from the inside out.

I like this part of the poem:
I walk in a yellow dress
and a white pocketbook stuffed with cigarettes,
enough pills, my wallet, my keys,
and being twenty-eight, or is it forty-five?
I walk. I walk.
I hold matches at street signs
for it is dark,
as dark as the leathery dead
and I have lost my green Ford,
my house in the suburbs,
two little kids
sucked up like pollen by the bee in me
and a husband who has wiped off his eyes
in order not to see my inside out
and I am walking and looking
and this is no dream
just my oily life
where the people are alibis
and the street is unfindable for an
entire lifetime.
I also used to live at number 45. Now I live at 5150, and that, of course, is a police term for the mentally ill. No mercy here, either.

9 comments:

Spilling Ink said...

I don't think it's any coincidence that Sexton and Woolf both struggled with issues of childhood sexual abuse. I don't know about Plath, but the poem 'Daddy' speaks volumes. Maybe it was the only way she had to be able to tell. As a writer, I can tell you that these indirect means cannot extinuish the demon. Reading 'Daddy' makes me angry on her behalf. I, too, know what it is like to live in a black shoe, to play the Jew to another's Nazi, to have my heart bitten in two and then grow up only to find it all again. I think the last lines are most telling.

"They always knew it was you.
Daddy, Daddy, you bastard, I'm through."

I was never able to deal with reading much from these women when I was younger. It made me uncomfortable in ways I could not explain or understand. I read The Hours a few years ago and though I couldn't put it down, it was very unsettling. I think that experience even made its way into a blog post. I'll go find it and bring you the link.

Spilling Ink said...

I found it.
.
.
.
http://spillinginkinpublic.blogspot.com/2008/01/in-answer-to-comments-in-last-post.html

{{{{{{{{May}}}}}}}}

You're not alone, my friend. Not entirely.

Spilling Ink said...

The last part of that post --

"I am here. I am there. I am everywhere and nowhere at all. And sometimes I am despised for it. But not by everyone. And for that I am grateful. So very grateful."

Maybe this is where the mercy lives, May. We are not despised by everyone. We have each other. At least there's that.

May Voirrey said...

I remember reading that post when it first appeared.

Anne Sexton's abuse has been disputed and attributed by some as the result of false memories suggested by her therapist while she was hypnotized. Whether it happened or not, it seems even sadder that Sexton went on to be a sexual abuser, something documented in her taped therapy sessions and corroborated by her daughter.

Her feelings of having been unwanted, unloved, and raised in a hostile environment were valid, though.

One thing that I have noted is that Anne Sexton's was yet another example of an incredible mind that, although productive, creative, and insightful, ultimately failed, leaving a train-wreck of a life as the byproduct of talent and success.

Spilling Ink said...

Sexton would not have abused her own daughter had her own sexual abuse been validated. If she had the undisguised truth of the depth and horror of her own pain, there is no way a sensitive woman such as she could have perpetrated abuse like that against her own child. This is the tragedy that befalls us all. One way or another, be it by some form of repetition, illness, or madness, we pay the price when there is no validation for our experience. And so do those around us. We drug ourselves in various ways, sometimes it's mostly for others, but what do we get for ourselves? Some of us get nothing. Only disbelief, and also scorn for our suffering. For those of us who dare to speak, most of us are made to suffer for that, too. I think THIS is where the train derails. I think it is. I wish I had the answer, but I have found only parts of my own answers. I know the improvements I have been able to make so far, and the bit of relief I have been able to find, have come from allowing myself to be angry, even though others disapprove. That is not an easy thing, though. Sometimes being disapproved of is angering as well. I guess I am better off when I have the strength to choose myself, my truth, and my own feelings over the comfort of others who would love nothing more than for me to just shut up and fake it until I die. I can't die for the sake of propriety anymore.

All any of us can do, May, is do the best we can to be honest deep down in our souls and search for some validation for that. We do the best that we can. And we keep going. With this honesty, some days the walk is better than the usual death march. And so we go on...

{{{{{{{{May}}}}}}}}

May Voirrey said...

Researchers studying Elizabeth Kubler Ross's model of loss noted that those five reactions don't happen on a continuum. Furhermore, we tend to revisit the stages we need the most to complete the process (acceptance). Study subjects showed that anger and despair were the two stages that people revisited the most often throughout the process. Anger is a coping tool for the shattered heart.

Spilling Ink said...

You're right about that, May. It sure does not seem to operate in any straight line, does it? I like the way you put that. Maybe when we get stuck, we can ask ourselves which of those reactions is asking to be revisited? One lady I write back and forth with often says she is depressed. We have discovered that when she describes her state that way, it is a specific *emotion* (reaction?) that is actually being depressed (supressed) within her. Then she must find what it is and express it, though that is not always easy. I wonder if that and what you wrote in the last comment are the same thing. I think maybe they are in principle. There must be something in that somewhere that we can use to help ourselves.

Spilling Ink said...

Anger might be a coping tool, but it is also a very valid emotion. Above all else, it is an emotion, just as joy, fear, and sadness are also emotions. People like to feed falsehoods about anger to folks like us. That's because anger makes them uncomfortable. Not just our anger, but their own anger, too. They still don't dare to feel it lest the wrath of the parent/ god/ or other punishing entity be reminded of their existence.

Personally, I enjoy cursing out such punishing entities. Not because my heart is shattered, but because I *feel angry* when silence is demanded in the face of heinous cruelty.

I think anger is like gas, May. It's normal. If we hold it in and pretend it doesn't exist just because it has been deemed 'unacceptable' to expel it, then that will hurt us.

Sophie in the Moonlight said...

your comments on these authors are insightful and mirror my own interpretations of Woolf and Plath. I cannot read The Bell Jar without feeling a little emotionally frantic at the end, and Woolf makes me proud and sad at the same time.

I've not read Sexton, but I might look her up in a way that does not financially support her memory. The fact that she sexually abused her daughter makes me want to vomit. But her struggles with mood and inner chaos ring true for this bipolar chick over here.

Sending you love and (((hugs))).