Tuesday, October 21, 2008

It makes fire


My husband realized long ago that if we were all going to survive my time in graduate school, he would have to learn to cook. This was a bit of a tough thing to accept since up until that time, I had done all of the cooking. I was good at it. I was creative. My culinary skills kicked ass.

And then, I completely lost interest. It was really the start of the great downhill slide--a sort of canary in the coalmine neither of us could recognize. We both chalked it up to being over-scheduled, tired, and deeply entrenched in the pursuit of a master's degree.

My husband is a reasonably good cook. He's not all that creative or adventurous, and although he doesn't stray from a recipe very much, he can manage quite well and improvise as necessary. If it weren't for his willingness to cook, I would just eat peanut butter from the jar and go about my business. Some days, especially when I feel low, I wouldn't even make the effort to do that. This is something we both know from experience. During bouts of extreme hypomania, I tend not to eat at all.

Today as I returned from an off-site meeting, I stopped at the natural foods supermarket to pick up a lunch snack what you eat when it's technically too late for lunch). It occurred to me that I would be home long before my husband--something that almost never happens. It was time to shop in earnest. Tilapia, tomatoes, leeks, zucchini, risotto, and coconut crunch ice cream. Lovely.

I poached the fish with the vegetables and some broth. Served with risotto and Parmesan on the side, it was a delicious meal. I think my husband was in such deep shock, he didn't even mention that I forgot to buy a baguette to go with dinner.

It was comforting to know that I was able to remember what that large, boxy white appliance is in the kitchen. If you turn the knobs, it makes a clicking noise and then, like magic, it makes fire! I remember hearing that the stainless steel box under the counter will clean your dishes if you know which buttons to push. Frankly, I don't have much curiosity about this. I usually put my dishes on the counter or in the sink and when I come by again, they've magically disappeared. It's a pretty cool trick. Everyone should have a kitchen that works this way.

If only we could get the refrigerator to keep itself replenished...