Sunday, February 1, 2009

Meet Frank

For well over 18 months, whenever I write in this blog, I've been referring to my husband as "my husband." He always made it clear that I was not to refer to him by his given name.

For all this time, I've offered options: Binky, Bob, Tom, John, Lester, Bunny, Wilbur, Elmo, Buster, Jimmy, Barack, Manny, Moe, and many others. He would have none of it

A week or so ago, I asked again because sometimes his given name of "my husband" doesn't flow in my writing. He thought for a second, looked up to the ceiling and said, "Saint Francis." I rolled my eyes and pointed out that his choice was no easier to type than what I had been using.

He thought about that and said, "Well, I'm from Joisey, I'm mostly Italian, and my parents came from Brooklyn, so just call me 'Frank.'"

I told him that I was pretty sure that most people don't consider Princeton to be "Joisey," but he doesn't want me to divulge his home town, so, well, forget what I just said.

Frank, it is. He is an animal lover and a truly kind soul who tries to help all living things. He often puts our pets' comfort ahead of his own and is surprised I won't do the same. Case in point: Here are pictures of Frank cooking breakfast today. God forbid he should tell the dog to move. Frank was there first and the dog just felt lonely, I guess.

3 comments:

Ethereal Highway said...

Frank sounds very sweet. But I'd probably tell the dog to move, too.

May Voirrey said...

Laurel who comments here, has met Frank and I think she can confirm that he is, in fact, a very nice guy.

I still think he likes the dog better than me.

Anonymous said...

He is a very nice guy, confirmed. And he's a dog person, which is, of course, a bonus in my book.