Saturday, September 5, 2009

Random

My mother is here. So far, low drama. She can barely walk and she has been scratching her shins bloody. I explained that she has sciatica because she lives almost constantly seated. The itching in her legs is a form of parasthesia caused by slow circulation. It is a vein problem--she knows that--but the best way to treat it is not a second surgery--it is movement.

When I mentioned that walking around her housing complex once a day or doing some very easy stretches, she won't feel the tickling itch that drives her to gouge at her skin. She said she has no interest in stretching.

If you could see the carnage, you'd understand my concern. While she's here, I plan to do my best to convince her that she is a staph disaster waiting to happen.

Otherwise, we need to figure out some activities that don't require lots of walking or any shopping. As long as my mother doesn't work my nerves too much between now and Tuesday 5:00 p.m., we'll get through this OK. Here's hoping.

No comments: