Thursday, September 16, 2010

It's a, it's a, it's, uh....

A piece of public art is being constructed and installed in front of the courthouse in my city. It started off as a blue concrete pad, about ten feet in diameter. At first it resemebled the beginnings of a splash pad.

As the project has continued over the course of the last month, the structure has grown to be nearly 20 feet in height and almost as large in diameter. New pieces of metal are added every day, and the complexity of the design becomes more intense as the project progresses.

For awhile, I thought it was going to be a fountain, but now I don't know what it is. A mechanical Venus fly trap? A scale model homage to some bizarre amusement park ride? A holding cell for criminals in need of public humiliation? The setting for some kind of judicial cage match when a jury just won't do?

I'm not sure what it is, but I'm reluctant--at this point, anyway--to call it art.






3 comments:

Ethereal Highway said...

It's a jungle gym gone wrong.

Ethereal Highway said...

A jail for skunks?

my word verif is 'scourn'. Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

Elizabeth said...

I thought it was going to be a fountain too but uggh now I really can't decide but would never call it art. Maybe I would say it is one more way for the city to spend my ever shrinking paycheck!