Friday, October 15, 2010

I want full disclosure

For the second time in a year, someone used my debit card number to buy something online. This time it was an XBox subscription.

When I called the bank, they assured me that getting this fixed would be relatively easy and painless. Apparently, banks have insurance for this sort of thing and this sort of thing happens all the time. They reimburse the money and move on.

When I went to the bank to fill out the claim paperwork, I asked how I could find out who had stolen my card information. The customer service woman looked at me, a little bit startled. She said, "Well, we have a department that takes over and handles it. They'll pursue it."

This seems unfair. In any other crime with this much information that can be tracked and traced, the victim gets to know who the perpetrator is. In cases of petty credit card fraud, the thief remains anonymous to the victim.

I want to know who did this. I want to confront him or her and explain what a major pain in the ass it is that I have no debit card for the next ten days, that I had to take an afternoon off of work to fill out a report, and that I hope he or she contracts a painful bleeding cancer that turns out to be the result of using an XBox.

Why these people are granted anonymity is beyond my scope of comprehension. Assholes.

No comments: