Wednesday, December 8, 2010

I'm just not that liberal

It's official. I'm part Republican. I've known this for a long time, but today I had one of those moments when it was obvious.

Someone sent me an email message imploring me to contact my representatives in Washington and to urge them to pass the DREAM Act. I deleted the message because I do not support this piece of legislation.

Children have long had to suffer for their parents' decisions, and that is never going to change. The DREAM Act just provides one more reason for people to bring their children here illegally instead of going through the channels, procedures, and years of waiting that legal immigrants endure.

I understand that parents who have come here without documentation often do so specifically, if not solely, to make a better life for their children, but they also expect the American people to foot the bill. The students who would benefit from the DREAM Act already got a free education and opportunities they would never had had in their home country. And now they want more?

It seems greedy to me that their parents also expect--even demand--that these kids be granted citizenship, a college education, and access to financial aid simply because they are good students--and it wasn't the kids' fault that they were here illegally.

Parents, you made this decision knowing that there would be consequences for your children. Kudos to you for guiding your children to stay out of trouble, stay in school, and be successful students. Whereas that's something to be proud of, it does not change the fact that you broke the law so you and your family could take advantage of and benefit from the opportunities created by and for the American people.

There are a lot of things I'd like to have, too, but nobody is going to give them to me just because I'm a good person who works hard and lives a clean life. Sorry, you don't get to break the law and then expect it to not apply to you.

No comments: