Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Bad Daughter

I didn't get my mother a Mother's Day gift. Her birthday is tomorrow. I didn't get her a gift for that, either.

I know this will be held against me. (You could have made a necklace for me. But I've been sick, I've been in terrible pain, and I barely made it through the Resentment necklace. That's no excuse. I'm your mother.). This conversation hasn't happened yet, but a similar version of it will.

I'm not sure what to do with that. Guilt seems so unproductive.

The bigger question might be, why didn't I buy a gift for either occasion? The truth is simple and I think I can actually admit this: I didn't get any gifts because I did not want to. Seriously.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't give my mother a gift, either. I didn't send a card and I didn't call. I felt guilty, too. I felt so guilty that I called my sister and talked to her about it. She said, "Don't worry. Mom was happy. All the penises (favored brothers) were worshipping at her feet." Seriously. That's what she said.

To be completely honest, I couldn't do anything for her for mother's day because it would have made me feel like I was disrespecting and harming myself somehow. So... I just didn't do anything.

I understand, May. Don't feel guilty. Give yourself a hug instead.

I really hate mother's day. And father's day. And Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Memorial Day, Veterans Day... you get the idea... I should wear a sign that says "Happy What-ever-it-is. Now lemme alone."

And the Fates? I think they're out to get me. I sent my therapist a mother's day gift. Seems the tracking number is "invalid" and no one can lay their hands to that particular package. I can't even 'adopt' a mother without something intervening to marr it. I feel like an orphan, May. I got a card from my son, though. From jail. I took one of those pills this morning. My husband still has the bottles.

Lynn

photo_chiq said...

All of these holidays are nothing more than a corporate mind fuck. None of it has any meaning anymore, I have just told everyone that I refuse to participate in these corporate events, I will have dinner with loved ones but dont expect me to go mall crawling with the rest of humanity to try and find the "perfect" gift to make everyone happy. The trouth is every holiday is a tool large corporations use to increase profits.

I would say if you dont want to participate in those holidays just be upfront about it. Then you dont have to feel guilty because no one will expect anything from you on those days.