Saturday, May 24, 2008

What will it take?

This was another busy week, yet I still didn't sleep much. I'm averaging about five hours per night, and I don't care what you say, that is not enough. If you don't believe me, just check in with the National Sleep Foundation on the issue of sleep deficit.

A couple of days ago, I took all of my prescription bottles out of the cabinet and lined them up on the kitchen counter. I read each label and took note of the side-effects posted on each bottle. I take eight prescription medications right now, and five of them are prominentlly labeled with a warning indicating: This drug causes drowsiness.

You could have fooled me.

There's definitely a difference between feeling drowsy and being tired. I'm always tired, but usually wired, as well.

When I saw the "very special" physical therapist this week, she told me I needed to work on focused relaxation (more on this later). When I laughed, she asked why that was funny, and I explained that not only can't I "clear my head," but even when I only sleep a few hours, my brain is firing so intensely, I wake up making to-do lists.

If three anti-convulsants, a sleeping pill, and an anti-histamine--all taken together--don't make me catatonic, it makes me wonder...What the hell would be going on in my cranium without these medications. They are, after all, intended to slow down my neurotransmitter traffic, and bring the rest of me down a few notches, as well. My brain reminds me of an episode of Gilligan's Island when Mrs. Howell was eating radioactive sugar beets...

3 comments:

Spilling Ink said...

I don't know about you, May, but sometimes I have the opposite reaction to medication than what people are 'supposed' to have. Especially with antidepressants and anxiety meds. Lower doses of anxiety pills that are supposed to make some people sleepy don't do that to me (and high doses knock me out). As a matter of fact, when I get anxious enough to take a pill, I am less likely to take naps because relieving anxiety relieves depression for me and it makes me feel better and want to be awake so I don't waste it. Conversely, antidepressants take away any little low-grade blanket of depression for me and leave me completely undefended against anxiety. Makes me want to jump off a bridge. If I take both, they just end up canceling each other out and I am taking meds for nothing because they quickly create a lower threshhold for distress for me. Then all I have is medical side effects and no benefits. And then, of course, some complete idiot will suggest even more pills to address that... it would never end. It would end with no real difference in my mood and function and a host of medical problems. The doctors would not be satisfied until I was riddled with disease. That would cure me, eh? I would spend all my time and energy on medical problems and wouldn't have time to think about anything distressing. Medical problems ARE distressing. I guess then I would need... you guessed it -- more pills! So I could be sicker. And on and on until I was finally dead.

I understand the frustration. Unfortunately, I am the queen of mystery medical conditions and bizarre effects.

May Voirrey said...

I understand the frustration. Unfortunately, I am the queen of mystery medical conditions and bizarre effects.

I'm sorry. That title has already been taken. It has been mine for years now, so you must find a different coronation title for yourself!

Spilling Ink said...

Okay. I'll be Queen of Weirdness.
:-)