Friday, May 30, 2008

From the media

Media roundup.

First, from National Public Radio, an interview with Sandra Aamodt and Sam Wang, authors of Welcome to your brain: Why you lose your car keys but never forget how to drive. (Purchase information is available here.) It's a good interview about what our brains actually do and don't do. Lots of myths are revealed for what they are, but for every myth busted, Aamodt and Wang replace it with a fascinating factoid. I love learning about the brain. I figure if I embrace the information, I might stop resenting so bitterly the brain I ended up with. To hear the engaging three-minute interview, click here.

Also from NPR, a short piece about shingles. How timely. I heard this on Thursday and hoped they were going to explain why the vaccine is only available to people over 60 years of age. They didn't, but it's an interesting story anyway. After listening to the piece, I was surprised to find out that I had three predispositions to the illness. I think I was biologically screwed on this particular issue. You can read the story or listen to it by clicking here.

Finally, where Ann Landers left off, Dear Margo carries on, albeit in a somewhat snarky tone. Today's big question is from a 26-year-old woman with bipolar disorder who is surprised to find out that her fiance loves her when she's manic, but is none too keen to stick around if she's depressed. Poor thing--she must be new. You know, when someone gets a BP diagnosis, they should be given an informative pamphlet detailing how all personal relationships will now crash and burn with alarming speed. You can read the whole question and Margo's unexpectedly sensitive reply here.

Tomorrow I'm working on a special project and will be spending the day with a sullen 16-year-old girl. It doesn't matter that she's African--all 16 year-old girls have a knack for being sullen. This one does a killer deep-sigh-with-eye roll. Extra points for when she also crosses her arms over her chest. I just found out that I am the same age as this girl's grandmother. Oh, dear God--is that what she sees when she looks at me? Someone who is grandmotherly? I'm horrified.

That's all from the news roundup. May has a splitting headache that is borderline migraine. Alas, since Lyrica is a blood thinner, I can't treat my headache in the usual way with handfuls of Advil. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but at this point, I'm pretty sure my right eyeball is going to pop out of my head.

Check out the links listed. It's worth the time. I'm off to bed with my headache.

No comments: