Monday, May 26, 2008

The secret seems to be...

Breathe Right Nasal Strips. I used these the last two nights, and even though I went to bed well after midnight, I slept a restful six hours plus and in-and-out additional hour. This happened before when I used the Breath Right strips, but I just didn't connect the dots.

I do not have sleep apnea, and I don't snore unless I'm congested. My theory is this: I am a shallow breather most of the time, a condition largely brought about by stress and my lack of awareness about whether or not I inhale deeply. I just forget. That being said, when I use the nasal strips, I automatically breathe more deeply. Ah-ha!

This probably isn't the ultimate cure for my insomnia, espciacially since these things are expensive, but it's good to know that during the times when I am not manic, there is something that might actually let me sleep better, if not longer. Ahhhhhh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you found something that helped. I woke up at 3:45 and put on my Ipod, which has a playlist of "Yoga PM" meditations. I didn't fall asleep to them but I did fall asleep after they were done, so I'm considering that a success. Plenty of deep breathing stuff, some of it funny -- "You are safe in the arms of your breathing." I beg your pardon? I'm safe where?

May Voirrey said...

It's all about focus. I think they just put those things in to see if you're really paying attention.