Saturday, December 20, 2008

Self, absorbed.

Amber was a therapist who specialized in working with survivors of war-related trauma and torture. During a workshop on secondary trauma--a job hazard for anyone who works with refugees--she talked about her own experiences that left her in need of specialized care.

Amber had run from a car when a rifle-toting military thug in Africa pushed his gun into her face. Although she had missed getting shot, the terror stayed with her for years. It was eventually compounded when she was involved in a near-fatal car accident that left her unable to function in everyday life. These two stories gave Amber's presentation a credibility it otherwise would have lacked for me, especially because I knew Amber to be a credible, genuine person.

Amber and her copresenter, Sissy, talked about somatic memory. I hadn't heard of it before. They showed pictures of brain scans illustrating electrical activity in the brains of people who had endured tremendous trauma and stress. They explained why the psychological component of torture is often more dangerous than the physical abuse. Then they talked about what happens when thoughts, memories, and feelings are buried. Maybe ignored. Possibly rerouted. Thoughts are taken out of the processing loop and pushed into a far corner of the brain where they no longer cause anxiety, sadness, and fear, otherwise lived over and over again.

I still have the handout somewhere. It includes a diagram of the brain, showing which sections control thoughts, memories, emotions, instincts and reflexes. Amber told us that each part of the brain needs to process information in its own way. There was no avoiding it, although delay and reinterpretation were possible.

The presentation fascinated me because it was the first academic explanation I had heard outlining why stressed out people get sick so often. While the brain is busy putting constant--but not conscious--effort into suppressing bad thoughts, it is no longer spending as much effort keeping the body's systems in top working order. It was the first time I heard the term somatoform illness. It was the first time I had an in-depth lesson on PTSD.

Survivors of torture and deep trauma who never effectively process their experience often exhibit somatoform symptoms in addition to the more straightforward evidence of PTSD. Given enough time, the brain will actually rewire itself so the somatoform illness becomes ingrained. The only way to stop the physical symptoms is by reconciling the emotional.

Amber stated that those deeply emotional experiences, when not neutralized, literally take up residence in the tissues of the body. We carry our troubles like a heavy suit that wears us down with each day it is not removed. It can become too physically painful to overcome.

Chronic pain can be both a cause and a form of somatoform illness. Not wanting to miss anything, my doctor is addressing my rapidly worsening problem with medication, physical therapy, nerve manipulation, meditation/visualization, EMDR, and lifestyle. No matter what the source of the pain turns out to be, the goal is to not let it get so far along that my brain starts to register it as a normal condition.

My pain is real. I just hope it isn't rooted in memory--some new and unprovable humiliation spun out of an already deeply defective brain. I can't think of any hidden trauma--physical or emotional that I've forgotten about. I believe that with all of the therapy I've been through, there can't be anything left to tease out of the folds of my brain tissue.


I told my husband that I want to feel better because I cannot survive this level of unrelenting, excruciating pain if there is to be no end in sight. Aside from the pain itself, I'm not sure I can survive the humiliation if this knife in my gut turns out to be nothing but uncollected thoughts seeping into the viscera.

I am not a hypochondriac. How do I prove it given this maddening absence of physical evidence?

7 comments:

Ethereal Highway said...

"I can't think of any hidden trauma--physical or emotional that I've forgotten about."

I'm not so sure traumas have to be 'forgotten' to crop up in this way. Sometimes it might be that they are remembered but have not been fully processed. The problem with many 'therapies' is that everything can go along great, discussion of the trauma, etc., then the problem comes in when the survivor has actual emotions about it. The emotions that go with the trauma are not pleasant ones. This tends to make them socially unacceptable. When people become very angry or 'hateful', etc., they are often encouraged (consciously or unconsciously) by therapists, and most certainly by society, not to connect with that too much. Then they get sent to a psychiatrist to drug those emotions down, and they are encouraged to 'let go' of the trauma. What survivors are really being told is not to process those strong emotions because they are too unpleasant for others to have to know about. We aren't supposed to 'spoil' things for others by displaying any unpleasantness. We are not 'supposed' to have socially unacceptable feelings, so they must be stuffed back in some compartment in the brain or the tissues of the body. I don't think a person has to forget to be effected in the way that you described in your post.

It is a re-traumatization, or perhaps an additional trauma in its own right, that survivors are met in this way. I often wonder which of the traumas actually does the greater damage.

I think that's why I am the way I am. It's why I will either go off on or get rid of, any person in my life who acts that way toward me. Being forced to lie about my inner reality and conform to fakeness nearly cost me my life and my sanity and I will attack anyone who implies that I must hide. If they don't like it, that's just too bad. I've got the 'secondary' trauma dealt with better than I have the original (in my case, forgotten) trauma. It is a terrible and tangled mess that abuse leaves in its wake.

Ethereal Highway said...

Also, this is not any weakness or failure on your part. You are brilliant. You have done, and are doing, anything and everything you can as it becomes necessary and possible. You are very special, May. And the circumstances have not diminished that. The others - those who need us to lie even if we choke to death doing it - they are the weak ones. It is they who should be ashamed, not us.

May Voirrey said...

I love proof. I embrace the tangible. I especially hate that there's even a hint of "all in my head" causing me to feel so sick, so often, despite my efforts to be well.

I'm frustrated. I do not believe that I have unresolved or misinterpreted memories on board. There is no experience or memory that I am unwilling to visit. I can do it. I have always been able to do it. Yet, I know without question that the CT scan I have scheduled at 8:00 Monday morning will reveal absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. And then it will be off to a therapist, but what, oh, what, shall we discuss?

Maybe we can discuss how it feels for me to look just fine and yet feel so bad. No, wait, I did that with the last one.

At least a tumor would prove that my mind is not my own personal symptom generator. You know?

I excel at thinking and at examining my life, so I feel if this were somatization disorder, I should be insightful enough to be able to see that and identify its origin.

If I'm going to be sick, I want it to be somethng that has no link to stress and something that is either visible or makes me look like crap. I'm tired of having to explain my healthy-looking self so often.

Ethereal Highway said...

I love proof, too. I think that might be one of my biggest problems. :-)

I felt the same way you describe here when I was having constant mystery illnesses. The frustration and despair were huge. At the time, though, I didn't have any clue that any of it could have to do with abuse or emotions. I was very familiar with the "it's all in your head" thing, though. It used to piss me off so much. And then I was also worried sometimes that the doctors might be wrong and that they only thought that because I had some disease that was uncommon and difficult to detect. The whole thing was a brain-fry.

Ethereal Highway said...

"I do not believe that I have unresolved or misinterpreted memories on board. There is no experience or memory that I am unwilling to visit."

I wasn't thinking of memories, I was thinking of emotions. I recalled reading something in one of your blog posts where you asked a question about something that I had never, ever read mentioned before on your blog. You asked why it was not okay to talk about the pain of abuse. I wanted so badly to ask you who conveyed to you that it was not okay. I wanted to, but I wondered if the timing was right or if I would just be sticking my nose into your business. It is one thing to have the complete memory, but if you feel that you have to deny your feelings about those events stored in your memory, that would not be healthy. I just think it's awful that survivors have to do that in order to feel accepted by certain important others.

I was also thinking about how you have written about hating your medications and resenting the fact that you take them to make yourself acceptable to others. That must seem like a terrible injustice on the inside. The thing that worries me, is that people who have been diagnosed with BP are made to feel that it is dangerous and pathological for them to feel anger. I don't think that's fair. If anger is represented as dangerous and a 'sickness', then the person who feels it and wants to be well, will have to stash it away somewhere. Which in turn (especially for the very intelligent) would serve to make the person even more angry, and with good reason, too.

"There is no experience or memory that I am unwilling to visit."

I believe you that you are willing to visit the experience of any feelings that might be stashed, but I also know how hard it is to do it all alone with no validation, *especially* when your feelings have been labeled as being part of a disease. The problem is that there are very few people who understand the truth about feelings and personal justice. It's hard to find a person to stand by you when you know things will get ugly and you might be disapproved of, labeled, and chastised for what might come out. That's what makes us keep it in. And yeah, I think stashed memories AND stashed feelings can be stored and begin seeping out in very similar ways.

Just my humble opinion. I just wouldn't want you to feel forced to stash anything if there is anyone around who could tolerate truth and strong emotion with you. If it makes you feel any better, I think you are a great person, May. I think there is something wrong with the people who stigamtize you. You are not the defective one. You are the strong one; the beautiful one.

May Voirrey said...

"I just wouldn't want you to feel forced to stash anything if there is anyone around who could tolerate truth and strong emotion with you."

That is precisely why I started this blog. I was tired of eating my emotions every day and swallowing my frustration. It has helped, actually.

"If it makes you feel any better, I think you are a great person, May...You are not the defective one. You are the strong one; the beautiful one."

Thank you. I have a blog post coming up related to this comment. Stay tuned.

Sophie in the Moonlight said...

Wow, can I relate to this!

I cannot stand when docs suggest that any pain or symptoms of illness are in my head - mostly b/c they are so often WRONG. They look at my chart, see lithium on my med list, and start presuming that I'm being psychosomatic. I had a mini-stroke over the summer and this doc came into my hospital room, spent thirty seconds with me and told me that he thought it was all in my head. I thought my husband was going to kill him. A stroke. Yeah, I made that one up all by myself.

However, I do have issues with chronic pain & illness and I have sometimes wondered if it is PTSD related. I had the childhood from hell, but I also have a spinal fracture, floating bone chip, and degenerative disc disease at L5-S1. The pain is real and has a definite origin, but I do wonder if the pain is worse b/c of my history. I may never know. The migraines and revolving door of flues are related to brain pain, I'm sure, but I'm digressing.

Years ago, I worked with refugees of political torture as part of a team - I taught ESL and was joined by a psychologist and a body worker. I saw the profound total body effects of the women's histories. Their bravery was awe inspiring, but bravery wasn't enough to erase Pol Pot's ravages on their psyche and bodies. The brain is the big honcho in the CENTRAL nervous system. Central. Everything else revolves around it. It's like the Sun of your internal solar system.

Your work is an incredible gift to many people; you are a sunbeam in the lives of others. Perhaps now the gift is coming back to you in a way you never expected. Learning about how YOU work and what can be done to make you feel better. Your doctor sounds like a gift herself. A compassionate doctor?!! With a total course of respectful treatment offered to you?!! Amazing.

I don't think your brain is defective, although I know it feels that way when we are cycling. Our brains just work differently. For all of the problems our moods cause us, we are also blessed with high IQs, abundant creativity, an auto function for well-preparedness, and an appreciation for other cultures and the arts that often eludes typical brains.

As for the absence of physical evidence... your brain is a physical organ. If you're dealing with a problem of somatic memory effecting the rest of your body, then that is a physical symptom in and of itself. I truly, truly, understand the need for an actual diagnosis that doesn't include the word "mental". I don't think it's all in your head. I'd bet you're like me and there is a real problem and that very real problem is made worse by chemical reactions pinging around your cranium. I do hope, and will pray, that your doctors, your team, are able to figure out the source of your pain and alleviate it no matter what the cause.