Friday, August 21, 2009

Dilemmas of anonymous blogging

I just read this article on CNN online: The coming-out stories of anonymous bloggers.

It starts like this:
By John D. SutterCNN

(CNN) -- Blog fans in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, saw PittGirl as their masked superhero -- a comedian and local commentator who jibed the mayor without reserve and ranted freely about her hatred of pigeons.

Virginia Montanez says she was fired because she revealed her identity as a local blogger.

But despite her effort to keep her real name secret, people started to figure out who PittGirl was.

Feeling pressure to take control of her identity before someone else outed her, PittGirl on Wednesday posted pictures of herself on her blog and introduced readers to her real-world self: Virginia Montanez, a 35-year-old married mother of two who worked in the nonprofit sector.

"My friends and family call me Ginny," she wrote on her blog. "But you can continue to call me Your Majesty, because I've grown accustomed."

On Thursday morning, Montanez was fired from her job because of her online persona, she said.

1 comment:

Sophie in the Moonlight said...

This happened to Heather Armstrong of dooce.com as well. Her work found out about her blog (in which she bitched about work a bit) and she was fired.

Thankfully, for me, I'm only employed by two kids who can't fire their mother try as they might.