Thursday, January 3, 2008

I'm ready for my closeup, Mr. DeMille

And infomercial day arrived. Again. Somehow I still thought this couldn't be legit, but when I arrived at the studio, there was the crew, the camera, the lights, and Bob.

This means two days in a row wearing makeup--a practice I gave up long ago based on the apparent futility of its intended purpose. Having had decent success with the sewing scissors last night, I rummaged around this morning and found my blow-dryer, some mousse, and some hairspray. This was all the talk at work today. I kept getting compliments on my haircut and comments like, Wow! you look different. What did you do?

I dried my hair and used product. Does this speak to my normal disheveled appearance?

I sat down and answered questions about my experience with the Pilates machine. As we went along, the producer got more and more excited, saying my answers were great and just the kind of "language style" they were looking for. The original interview only had five questions, but every time I thought we were finished, they would add more just because they liked my interview style.

It was excruciating. I can't stand to be photographed, so videotaping was agonizing. I am just happy it's over.

Someday soon when you're channel-surfing, you might come upon a commercial for a wonderful Pilates machine, and you'll see testimonials from several middle-aged people. I'm the one with the purple glasses and the interesting hair.

No comments: