Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Sophie lives!

Sophie had surgery today to the tune of several dozen stitches and a $470 bill. My husband said this is the most expensive haircut he has ever paid for.

The cat's Onesie has been replaced by a proper bandage that looks like a fetching kelly-green vest. She was shaved pretty liberally. Note the skinless patch on her right front leg where the IV was inserted during the surgery.

Dr. M. told us that my feline first-aid skills are excellent, and there was nothing more I could have or should have done. Sophie is 12 years old, and taking that into consideration, she was holding up as well as could be expected.

Sophie is groggy from the anesthesia and it will take several weeks for her to recover. Despite how bad that sounds to us, the vet told us that Sophie's injury is not only very common, but hers wasn't that bad, relatively speaking. In fact, two vets and a tech at the practice told us that every one of them and probably every vet they know has caused this same wound on a cat at least once. My husband was finally able to draw some comfort from this, and both vets told him to just let it go and to stop beating himself up.

There's a long recovery ahead for my best friend, but at least there is a recovery ahead. I'm not sure what I would have done had the result been otherwise.

1 comment:

corruptpixie said...

I am so glad to hear that Sophie is on the road to recovery. I hope your husband learns to forgive himself, I am sure even Sophie has forgiven him and all the cat's I know don't do that easily. That's so great your first aid skills were spot on and it's very impressive you dealt with seeing Sophie like that, I know how hard it is to see the ones you love hurt.