Monday, April 28, 2008

The Brainucopia leaks

On Saturday, someone marveled at how organized I am. We were at a picnic, and I had thought of everything. I'm sure this appears as organization to someone looking on, but it's really just the result of good list making. It might take me a week to make a list for an event like this. I've been known to get out of bed in the middle of the night to jot down another item on the list or to slap a Post-It note onto my purse.

My goal isn't to be organized. No, my goal is always the same: To avoid discomfort. Some people say that necessity is the mother of invention, but I contend that discomfort avoidance is doing the true heavy lifting.

I am that person. You know, that person at work who has what you need: A safety pin, tampon, toothpaste, Advil, paper plate, dish soap, antacid, fork, paper towel, plastic bag, floss, mint, hem tape, hair pin, eyeglass cleaner, air freshener, thank-you note cards, chocolate, band-aids...

I am not all that organized. Case in point. On Saturday morning, I left the house for the day only to get a call from my husband who had been out walking the dog when I left.
"May, did you know you left the front door wide open?"
"Huh? What? No. I mean, huh, yeah, I guess so. Sorry. If it's any comfort to you, I've only been gone about five minutes (it was actually 15. Shhhh.)."
"Oh, May. May, May. Sigh."

The next morning, I went downstairs and realized, much to my horror, that the night before I had not only left the iron plugged in, I had left it turned on. High heat. Good thing it has that auto-off feature. He he.

I got myself together and went out to the car. That's when I saw that I had left my car unlocked and the windows down all night.

Yeah, organized. Let me know what that's like. In the meantime, I live constantly muddled. Maybe it's lithium. Maybe it's middle age. Maybe my brain is full. Should I be driving?

No comments: