Friday, April 18, 2008

I'm overwhelmed

My mom's surgery went OK, but she's in terrible pain. The Percocet and Keflex make her sick. She threw up on me today, but I took it in stride. Tomorrow I have to remove the Stryker Pump, help her shower, and redress the surgical incisions. I have no idea what I'm doing, and since there seems to be a lot of "shadowing" under the dressings now, I'm worried that this whole process is going to be much more difficult than it reads on paper.

She keeps this house so damn dark I have claustrophobia. I mean, the wood blinds are kept closed, the windows are closed up tight, the vertical blinds are drawn...I feel like I'm suffocating. I don't like air conditioning as it is, but to not be able to see outside is just maddening.

My mother needs a lot of help, and I don't see how she's going to take care of herself after I leave. I sent an email to my siblings, but so far, the silence is deafening.

If I could afford it, I would hire Molly Maids to come in and give this place a good, thorough cleaning. It's disgusting, and my mother can't take care of it. She had the rotator cuff injury since last September, and the house really hasn't seen much care since then. I am not all that well myself, and my shingles pain flared up a lot today. I'm going to do what I can, but it won't be sufficient.

I have no idea what I'm doing, and don't know where to begin.

1 comment:

Spilling Ink said...

Wow. I didn't realize your mom's injury was such a debilitating one. I'm so sorry, May. I think it's sweet that you want to do some work in the house, but please be careful not to wear yourself out. This might just be one of those times when all you can reasonably do is to meet the basic needs of your and your mother. Please dont jeopardize your health. I'll be thinking of you.

{{{{{{{{May}}}}}}}}