Sunday, April 13, 2008

Things that go bump in the night

(pardon typos. I'm 90% Ambien-affected and too whacked out on Ambien to care about spelling.) I'm afraid to go to bed. It can't be helping that I'm watching "Ghostly Encounters" on Biography Channel.

It's late. It's past bedtime. I've always been nervous in the dark, but I can't sleep if there's any light in the room. When my husband is here, I'm OK. (Although, I must mention that last week, the cat crashed a lamp off of an end table, shattering the bulb. I sat bolt upright in bed--Sophie kitty, too--while husband and Sparkled never stirred. I thought, "must be an Ambien thing. I hallucinated. The cat reacted to me.") My point being, having a husband and a dog is not the same as an ADT security system.

My husband is not here. He's on a plane that at this time is approximately over Omaha. He won't get home until 1:00 or so. That's A.M. I probably won't sleep until then. Even if I do, I know my heart will jump out of my chest when he opens the door because the dog will go ballistic.

How did I manage to live alone for all those years?

My house creaks a lot. I looked outside--it's not windy. Little freaked out.

1 comment:

Spilling Ink said...

Hopefully, 1:00 will come quickly. There was a time, when I lived alone, when I used to sleep on the sofa in the living room with the heat blasting and the TV on. I would fall asleep watching Leno or Conan. Having those shows on and being all warm and cozy when it was cold out made me feel comfy and I was able to sleep and feel pretty decent about it. Whole different lifetime ago. I wish that would work for me now. Maybe I need a TV in the bedroom. Maybe I would like to fall asleep watching Starman. I love that movie.