Monday, July 28, 2008

Post Traumatic Emotional Experience

Time is supposed to heal all wounds, but it doesn't. I don't think it heals anything at all. Physical wounds heal from natural processes and medical interventions. Emotional wounds never heal, they just get reinterpreted, accepted, synthesized into the greater emotional experience, or left to simmer, fester, or stay filed away until a new experience stirs the memory back into action.

I like to think I move beyond the hurts and deep emotional gashes I believe I can overcome. I want to believe I can make peace with my experiences. I'm not one to obsess over the long term. Obsessing is a painful thing I do when I am hypomanic.

My friend, Jolie, is recovering from a serious crash that in an instant had her body skittering across the road, abraded, bleeding, and with a serious blow to the head. Among other injuries, she sustained extensive damage to her pelvis and lower back, as well as a concussion. A brain bruise can have long-term consequences for anyone who sustains such an injury, but for those of us who are "differently wired," even mild head trauma can cause all things cranium to get bumped off an already precarious axis.

Jolie's mood has slid into a low, low place. Some of it may be situational, but some of it is likely a result of neurotransmitters that have started dancing without permission, as Jolie herself would say. Nobody really knows. The thing about this type of injury that takes people by surprise isn't only that it causes cognitive and vision problems, but it can greatly amplify the patient's irritability and the ability to speak tactfully. When the brain's doing its dance, the mouth is on its own.

Jolie and I have this in common. When we aren't doing very well, we stop trying to be polite, which is something we mostly do for other people's benefit anyway. Along with rampant apathy, there is a complete lack of energy to put toward polite social intercourse. At times like these, we'll tell you exactly what we're thinking, no holds barred.

We aren't bad people; we just become painfully honest. And that pain is felt by other people, not us.

Another thing that Jolie and I have in common is that we are actually both kind and generous people. We are diplomatic. We are charming, but direct. Unless we don;t feel well, and then we just say what we're actually thinking. From the time my bipolar disorder started building itself into a teetering stack of unmanageable symptoms, my propriety filter disengaged itself little by little until I just couldn't stop myself from saying exactly what I was thinking. People who knew me were offended by this. I was surprised by it, but later came to find out it's a very common symptom of an unstable bipolar sufferer.

For a long time, I thought those people were offended because of my words. Later, though, when they confronted me, I was shocked to learn that they were offended by the change in me. I was no longer fitting into the image with which they felt comfortable. My words, my moods, my demeanor made them uncomfortable simply because it was unfamiliar. they honestly believed my behavior was willful and completely within my control.

At that time, I needed support. I needed to know that my friends would ride this out with me, help me through it, love me when it wasn't easy, and soothe the raw parts of me that were stripped bare by my anger and resentment at whatever had caused me to have my affliction. I don;t care how many famous people have it and have gone on to have successful lives. I just knew I didn't want to have it, period, and I was upset that I could only hope to keep it at bay, but it would never be gone from my body.

Only two people stuck around. The rest ridiculed me to my face and criticized me for not being the me they liked. they were mad that I had changed. The fact that I was sick wasn't even on their list of issues to talk about.

that hurt. A lot. I cried for about a year, and then I got angry. Eventually, the more I thought about this, I became enraged, a hunched over, monosyllabic vessel for rage. I was always the helper, the listener, the friend in deed, and I had just gotten screwed so hard, I could not process it. What added insult to injury was when the same people tried to re-enter my life later, when I was closer to stability. I was stunned. It was like, now that the coast was clear, it was time to go back to knowing the May who didn't make them examine their own attitudes and behaviors. No, they didn't like her at all.

I wrote off everyone except the two who stayed true, and in the middle of everything, I met Jolie. She met me at my worst, but she understood that my edginess wasn't something that was intended to be a personal affront to anyone. I was just having an episode of a very unpleasant illness. She liked me anyway, and the feeling was, and remains, mutual.

Over time and with talk therapy and blogging, and medication adjustments, I learned to reframe my anger. I analyzed it into manageable chunks and filed it away when I thought it had served its purpose and run its course.

In the past week, Jolie has had to confront people whom she supported through their worst upheavals, only to find that the support wasn't even close to mutual. She told me that one of those people told her he liked her better "before." He said she wasn't as nice now, and that she had become unaccommodating of the other's needs. She was only focused on herself.

Hey, well, when you fly off a motorcycle and then in a helicopter shortly thereafter, there might not be a better time to be self-centered.

Like me, Jolie was disappointed in the mentality of her friends, and then her indignant outrage took over. I know how she feels. I have been there, immersed and drowning in it.

Shortly after Jolie recounted everything she was experiencing, my own anger came back. For days, I've felt it like new all over again. I find myself having mental confrontations with the people who betrayed me with their indifference. It has all resurfaced, although this time, I understand that it will do no good to try to "work it out" and explain what I needed at the time. This time, I am trying to feel what I feel, acknowledge that these are valid hurts, and just go with the course of emotion in the hope that it will subside more easily when influenced by my new insight.

Sometimes I am surprised at how visceral our emotional memory really is. As the Burmese would say, Very, very.

5 comments:

Spilling Ink said...

I'm not bipolar and I would be hurt and angry if I were ill or injured only to then be shunned and criticised because I was unable to be 'pleasant' about my predicament. If these are friends, then what are enemies? And if this reaction is attributed to being bipolar, then perhaps those with bipolar have an enhanced capacity for honesty. And perhaps some so-called 'friends' are just assholes, too. Assholes who can't deal with honesty or reality. Kind of makes you wonder who the 'sick' ones really are sometimes, doesn't it?

May Voirrey said...

I used to have a quote pasted on the edge of my computer monito. It reminded me of the need to step up, not back, when people are struggling, no matter how uncomfortable that may be. Elie Wiesel said, "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference."

And I actually do think that people with bipolar disorder have an enhanced capacity for honesty. Unfortunately, it's in inverse proprtion to our tact.

Spilling Ink said...

I have noticed that there is such a thing as being too tactful with certain (dense) people. Sometimes a little less tact is the only thing that gets through to some folks. This is not an entirely new discovery for me. It's just that my need to be exceptionally honest increases when I am suffering. My mother would probably still call me if I still had too much tact. There is something to be said for clearing the decks with some 'special' honesty. The people who are still left are the ones who really love me. The others were decreasing the quality of my... I was going to say my life, but I think they were decreasing the quality of my soul.

Sophie in the Moonlight said...

Trial by emotional fire is excruciatingly painful, but in the end one comes out cleansed and purified and more aware of what is truly important. I am grateful to have lost the "friends" that could not deal with the ups and downs of my bipolar illness, particularly in the early stages after the crisis event that led to my diagnosis. I am possibly even more grateful to have chosen to let go of a few friends with whom I was not comfortable when I was symptomatic. I felt they judged my behaviors unfairly and condescendingly while trying unsuccessfully to be politically correct about my mental illness. I did not find truth in their friendships.

It sounds like the "friends" that you and Jolie have had did not care to have truth and authenticity in their relationships with either of you. Learning that reciprocal honesty is not a shared value is a crappy thing to discover when one is most in need of compassion and understanding.

I hope, in the end, that having the false friends removed from your circles will create room for authentic friends who love both of you just the way you are, in the same way that you met Jolie during a time of multiple abandonments.

I am sorry for Jolie's difficulties right now. I will include her well-being in my prayers and send gratitude to the Universe that you, at least, have each other.

May Voirrey said...

Sophie,
Jolie and I both had this unpleasant epiphany regarding the authenticity of relationships. For my own situation, I somehow thought I had learned to make better, more savvy choices as an adult. What a shock to find out that people are disingenous in their relationships at all ages and I was still making mistakes in this regard. Live and learn and learn again.

Jolie recently started walking again, so no more wheelchair. She is diligent in her attempts at recovery, but I fear for her emotional health. That is a whole different disaster.

Thanks for thinking about her and sending positive thoughts her way. She kicks ass and you would probably like her if you met her.