Saturday, February 13, 2010

It makes me feel heard

Awhile back I joined a group on Facebook called "The right to die with dignity." It's supposed to be a forum to discuss, well, the right to choose your own outcome.

That discussion has over 1,000 members, but nobody actually joins the discussion. Still, more than 1,000 members means people are thinking about this.

Wanting to have my politically incorrect and apparently illegal point of view to be heard, I started my own group: "My life, my death, my choice." I get to express my opinion on this matter all I want. My group has 23 members so far, and I think most of them have bipolar disorder or severe depression. That's OK. Everyone should know that there is a safe place to talk about the topic without fear of being arrested or committed.

Saying, "I get to decide for myself when I've had enough," should not be a crime. For once, Facebook is serving an actual validating purpose for me by letting me have a group--and by having people join it.

No comments: