Sunday, February 7, 2010

That worked out OK

I've been carrying around a Chico's gift card for quite some time now. I rarely shop there because my shape doesn't fit into the shape of their clothes. I also think the merchandise is overpriced. Still, a gift card is a nice treat, along with the 25% off coupon that came in the mail.

Frank came with me. He knows I'm prone to minor meltdowns and despair when shopping. It was his idea for me to go to Chico's today. He thought I had a particularly rough week, I don't feel well, and I haven't done much outside of the house except work.

I found some tops to try. Chico's doesn't carry skirts or dresses in their stores, nor do they carry plus sizes as we know them. At the end of the sale rack, a pair of gray jeans caught m eye.No flap pockets, no metallic embroidery on the butt, no low-cut waist. I put them in the dressing room.

Once in the dressing room, I worked my way through items I loved but that didn't fit well, things that fit well but weren't comfortable, and a couple of pieces that were comfortable but not flattering. I took a deep breath and pulled on the jeans, waiting for the inevitable braking constriction at the thigh. Except it didn't happen. the jeans fit. they looked OK. They were the right length. They were $30. I stepped out of the dressing room to show Frank.

It was a miracle. No. I was skeptical. I found the sales associate and asked, "Has the company changed its fit model or sizing?" She assured me it had not.

Frank later noted that everyone working in the store and shopping in the store was white and between the ages of 45 and 65. Perhaps the jeans fit because they are made for a specific target demographic, the very one that includes me. Or maybe I lost a few pounds.

Anyway, mark this day as the miracle day when May Voirrey fit into a pair of pants (structured pants) at Chico's.
























I also bought a choclate brown (not white) long-sleeve tee that's soft as buttah, a gray/white long-sleeve tee with little, airy flowers and beads sewn on, and a dark charcoal gray tank top. I'm eliminating color from my wardrobe so I don't have to put so much thought into getting dressed.

1 comment:

Ethereal Highway said...

Sounds like it worked out better than okay. That's a fairly good haul for one visit to one store. Especially with fitting issues. I should know... I'm the freakishly tall freakazoid who flat out refuses to wear highwaters. Sometimes it's been a wonder that I didn't just give up and go naked.
(And I hate looking for long sleeves. They're too short, too. Makes me feel like the bride of Frankenstein sometimes when I am shopping.)