Monday, April 16, 2012

Focusing on the inane

Between the stages of painting the bedroom, doing laundry, furniture shopping, and generally getting things done this past weekend, I also went to Costco. I have a very predictable shopping list when I go, and I'm rarely prone to make impulse purchases.

Yesterday, however, while waiting for a traffic jam of carts to clear near baked goods, I glanced at the refrigerator case to my right and saw big pink bags of Ohana's organic udon noodles. I love udon, but had never seen a precooked, al-dente version like this. The noodles were only about six dollars, so I tossed a package into my cart.

I really like miso soup, and Dr. Oz is always going on about how healthy it is for you, but for me, it's something I consume much like I do tea. the broth has no substance, so it's not very filling. It ends up being something I make as an afternoon pick-me-up when I'm trying to persuade myself that this will be a better choice than a brownie.

Today I put a serving-size package of noodles (I hope that's one serving) into my lunch bag, along with a tiny Tupperware container of red miso paste and a tablespoon of dried, chopped up wakame (seaweed).

Here is the soup I made in the microwave in my office in less than five minutes. It's quite delicious and substantial. Thank you for your patience in indulging me while I describe what I ate for lunch.

May Voirrey's 5-minute udon miso soup with wakame flakes

No comments: