Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Lottery

I don't play the lottery very often, mostly because I either forget or I'm too lazy to go out and make the purchase.

There was an interesting article on the CNN website today about why people play the lottery when their chances of winning are so minimal. I can tell you that I do it because I have seen that sometimes people do have a lottery win. It's improbable, but not impossible. There's a whole series about it on The Learning Channel.

I am married to a statistician. He also buys lottery tickets, for much the same reason I do.

I've heard that your chances of getting hit by lightning are higher than the chance of winning the lottery. Well, my house was hit by lightning and caught on fire. Oddly, the house wasn't even close to being the highest object or structure in the area when it got hit. Years later while out on a walk, I was shocked on the foot by lightning that hit nearby and traveled across the ground. It hurt like hell, but it was the sound of the deafening bang that accompanied that lightning that made me nearly wet my pants.

I've also had three incredbly rare medical conditions, and my dad died of an illness that fewer than 30,000 people in all of North America have at any one time. I figure, given that history, playing the lottery could pay off for me.

If it doesn't, I'm OK with that. I live in a state where lottery proceeds go to a very good cause, a cause near and dear to my heart, so, yes, I'll be buying a Powerball ticket later today. If I remember. And if the line isn't too long.

No comments: