Friday, July 24, 2009

Damn

It was right after a story about investing with an ethical stock broker. I had just glanced up to see the time, when I heard the perky blonde who was reading the news say the name of someone I know. The news wasn't good.

Following an extended investigation by the DEA, one of the many medical professionals I frequent was arrested on federal drug and fraud charges. I forgot to breathe for a few seconds. This couldn't be somebody I know and like--a lot. It was. It is. (no, not Dr. G).

My husband is a patient, as well. We spent the next hour alternating between shock laced with disappointment and then concern and sadness. This has been a long-term relationship, and neither Frank nor I are ready to accept that it's probably over. This isn't only someone we like tremendously--we know the names of the spouse and the kids, we compare notes on ski vacations, road trips, music, and more.

I'm stunned. Mostly, though, I'm sad to know that an excellent practitioner is going to jail.

No comments: