Monday, July 6, 2009

The webcam dilemma

Frank wanted to buy a Bluetooth headset for me. I need to use the phone in the car as part of my job, but I am a painfully careful driver. I won't even answer the phone if it rings while I'm driving, let alone have a conversation.

Since Frank didn't know what I had in mind, he gave me a gift card for Best Buy. I wanted the BlueAnt Z9i, preferably in red. It looks large in the picture, but it's actually tiny--only 2/3 the length of my thumb. Best Buy had it for $99, and only in black. Amazon had it for $47, with no tax, free shipping, in satin red.

This leaves me still holding a $50 Best Buy gift card.

Frank and I went to Best Buy yesterday and found that most of what I like is available for much less on Amazon. Nevertheless, we wandered over to computer peripherals and Frank said, "May! How about aWebcam? You've wanted one forever. Here's the Logitech you were looking at. Why don't you get that?"

I hung my head, feeling like the social loser I have created by my own actions.

"Frank, I don't have anyone to use a Webcam with. Jolie doesn't have or want one. It would be a one-way transmission, and only if I talk to myself."

Frank patted me on the back and headed off to play a round of Guitar Hero a few aisles over.

Sigh.

2 comments:

Ethereal Highway said...

I have a webcam. I've never used mine, either. Pretty much the same reasons. Those, and the fact that my brain is too out to lunch to learn new things sometimes. I hate that. That is what I think of in myself when you mention how you don't read books anymore. It makes me sad. I hate feeling dumb.

May Voirrey said...

Feeling stupid is a big, big issue with me. I feel like I have a greatly diminished ability to learn.