Saturday, May 8, 2010

I don't know what came over me...

A very prickly 64-year-old Karen woman from Burma recently thanked me for my kindness by giving me a traditional sarong for my birthday. I happen to know that this style is expensive and it takes three weeks for a highly skilled artisan to make.

Normally, I put these things away, but I went to a baby shower today and I boldly wore the sarong, along with my red Born maryjanes and a beaded necklace that a woman from Bhutan made for me.

I certainly stood out in the group of jeans-wearing party guests. WTF--why keep beautiful things tucked away? Someone liked me enough to give me her own very special, handmade textile piece. The least I can do is show my respect for the gesture by wearing the skirt to a special event.

For those who raised their eyebrows at me, fuck you.



Detail of embroidered 14" bottom border section of sarong

1 comment:

Ethereal Highway said...

I'm glad you wore it. What a stunning gift. I don't think someone would labor over an item like that one to give to someone who has not somehow effected the course of their life.