Sunday, May 17, 2009

Hail the intrepid astronauts!

May is thrilled, thrilled that there is a team of astro-mechanics-technicians fixing the venerable old Hubble space telescope.

NASA's picture of the day is one of my favorite Web treats, and the majority of the pictures are Hubble-generated.

My profile picture is a Hubble image, and it's just one of thousands of stunning revelations of the universe beyond what we see from our local skies.

I know it hemorrhages money, I know the technology is a wee bit older than NASA prefers, but seriously, funding Hubble--the eye into space's beauty--seems so much more worthwhile than spending federal dollars for yet another bridge to nowhere or an airport that serves only one large corporation, or any number of pork-barrel projects. Why not spend money on something that inspires us (kids included) to learn and to ask questions and to appreciate with wonder?

Thanks, NASA and thank you Congress for patching up the old girl yet again.

2 comments:

Sophie in the Moonlight said...

That's beautiful.

I did a video for my blog bday (one month ago today) and it had a lot of the NASA pictures of the day woven into it. NASA rocks.

May Voirrey said...

Yes, I saw the video. Your voice was not what I expected, but people who hear my voice say my physical appearance is not what they expected.

If NASA ever needs to take up a collection to save the Hubble, I will gather all of the change that has collected in the corners of my home with the hope that it is enough to let in the light of at least one far-off star, if only for a moment.