Sunday, March 23, 2008

Fame without fortune

Somehow, my husband and I got onto the topic of brushes with fame. It reminded me of celebrities I've met along the way, most of them before 2000.


  • Don King. I have a picture of us together, and he has his arm around my waist. People ask why I'm smiling so enthusiastically. He squeezed me just as the picture was taken, and it took me by surprise.

  • Bruce Jenner. Weird. I've never been so up-close to someone who had undergone so much plastic surgery. It was creepy.We were in a limousine for 45 minutes, so I had time to really scope out his face. Eww.

  • Emme, the plus-sized model. I was a client of her husband, and we got to be friends. I am so sad that they're getting divorced, but I have a feeling they'll both benefit.

  • Evander Holyfield. He has the biggest hands I have ever seen in my life. He shook my hand, and my hand just disappeared. He's severely dyslexic, which would have been helpful for me to know at the time. He's also incredibly kind and very religious. Somewhere in my basement, I have signed gloves and I couldn't care less.

  • Sara Hickman, my favorite singer. She gave me the longest hug I've ever had in my life.


  • Nicole Wood, Playboy Playmate. We had dinner together. I felt like an Amazon, a homely stepsister, invisible. The men couldn't stop staring at her, but hey, I've never experienced such outstanding service in a restaurant. Actually, I have, and the second time it was on my own merit as someone who had helped the owner in his first days in the U.S. I felt like royalty.

  • Pete Rose, disgraced MLB player.

  • Al Jarreau, singer. Friendy and gracious.

  • Robert Hays, actor (Airplane!), in a bar in the French Quarter, New Orleans.

  • Marion Barry, outrageous former mayor of Washington, DC.

  • Jerry Falwell, evangelist. Incredibly charming and disarming. It scared me after the fact.

  • Jerry Penacoli, TV Entertainment Reporter. Very nice guy. I used to research stories for him.

  • Nancy Glass. Bitchy diva, self-absorbed. Used to be on an Entertainment-Tonight-type TV show, and then produced her own shows. Brought her dog to work and insisted everyone feel good about it.

  • I have not met but have been in the same room with--twice--Ted Turner and Jane Fonda.
  • I went to a private party where the band was the Neville Brothers.

  • Greg LeMonde, champion bicyclist. What an incredibly, incredibly nice guy.

  • Christ Klug, Olympic medalist, snowboarding. He won the bronze only 19 months after undergoing a liver transplant. For someone who flies over the snow, he is very grounded and down-to-earth.

  • Billy Kidd, skier extraordinaire. He couldn't care less if you're a celebrity or regular person. He'll still help you find your way around the mountain, and he'll chat with you just as if he'd known you forever.

  • Dr. Kay Redfield Jamison. She's shy and she has the most incredible blue eyes I have ever seen in my life.

This a late addition that occurred to me weeks after I first posted this. I also met Al Lewis, otherwise known as Grandpa Munster. This was strictly by chance. In the spring of 1993, a friend and I spent a day in Greenwich Village poking around at the flea markets. I bought a rustic, willow twig arch entwined with dried flowers. On our way back to the PATH train, our conversation was interrupted by Al Lewis. He owned a restaurant in the Village (Grandpa's), and he was standing outside on this beautiful spring day. He came over to take a look at my willow arch and seemed genuine as he looked it over carefully and commented on how pretty it was. He was funny, smooth, and NewYork brash all at the same time. After our conversation, my friend and I kept smiling all the way to the train station. The following Monday at the office, I was actually able to say, "Yeah, my weekend was good. In fact, I met Grandpa Munster..."

I think I missed a few--writers, I think. I'll bet the only person on this entire list who remembers me is Emme.

5 comments:

Spilling Ink said...

These are some fabulous adventures, May. I'm glad you shared them. And Don King's hair always makes me smile. I'm always glad when someone else's hair is more wild than mine.

May Voirrey said...

Putting this list together made me realize how interesting my life used to be and how boring my life has become. No, not boring...utilitarian.

Spilling Ink said...

My life, too. I have traveled in Europe; Germany, Austria, France... I nearly died of food and tequila poisoning in Mexico. I used to think nothing of hopping in the car to travel the US. I used to model. I used to sing to live audiences, and I have made grown men cry while doing it. I used to get off on swinging really tough-to-fund real estate deals. I once prepared a million dollar budget for a condo association and it was passed unamimously by the board with no changes. I defended the 1st ammendment in a public courtroom and won. Now... I'm doing good if I can shop for myself and keep my finances in good shape. All because some crap I was trying to outrun came knocking on my door. It's not fair.

Sometimes, when I get to wishing, I wish I could have done more, better, more important... before it was all over. Should have turned around and hopped the train back to Chicago and taken the offer from Elite. Should have taken more trips while in Europe. Should have learned to ski while I was at the Zugspitz. Shouldn't have eaten that cheese in Acapulco so I would have been able to spend more time on the beach with my kid. Should have taken the job in Vegas. Should have done some big amazing thing while I was still able. It's not fair. I'm only 41.

(The current post is amazing, May. I will comment after giving it the contemplation it deserves.)

Anonymous said...

Adventures? you sound like a wanna be. If your life is boring now it must have been awful before You are obviously a very jealous and insecure person.Your comments are bitchy but not interesting. By the way, I read your post about being diagonsed as bipolar and I am not at all surprised. You sound like a classic case. You need to move on with your life and take your medication.

Anonymous said...

I was at an entertainment company where you came in for a job interview and the boss...the one you called bitchy in your above blog...she looked at your resume and started to question some of the things you listed as past experiences because other poeple in the room knew about those shows and said you were not there. Then she pointed out that some of the stuff on your resume was false. You said you were a producer on a show which didn't exist, You said you worked with Jerry P. and, according to him, you didn't. As she questioned you about the lies and exagerations on your resume you seemed to get more and more annoyed. You are basically a sad person who has to exagerate to make yourself feel better. I think you should concentrate on the things that are true and you would feel better about yourself. You didn't need to lie then and you don't need to lie now. Its too easy to check on a person's resume. When yours what checked out, you came out as a fraud and you were told that. When you lie about things, it makes you seem pathetic. You also didn't have dinner with the playmate ...at least she denies it. If you were at a dinner there were so many other people there that she didn't meet you. I'll bet you thought you could get away with lying on a blog. Sorry. You can't.
Cathy M.