Wednesday, March 26, 2008

You're going to do what to my what???

I went to the gynecologist today. It wasn't only time for my annual exam, but I wanted to ask about the abdominal pain I've been having. Oy.

They took a lot of blood with the intention of doing, among other things, a CA-125 screening--for ovarian cancer. I have to go in for an intravaginal ultrasound tomorrow morning. I've had this before, and it's akin to having someone push a condom-covered flashlight up your vagina.

The doctor did an pelvic exam (normal) and a Pap smear, and the blood tests include other things I don't remember.

It's just that I'm sitting here realizing I'm being run through a gamut of tests for...cancer.

3 comments:

Spilling Ink said...

That's because the doctor wants to rule out the scary stuff and make sure not to miss anything. Hang in, May. I would be worried, too, though. But please try to remember that the doctor has to make sure not to miss anything big. Maybe a few weeks from now, you will be prescribed some ibuprofen or something and go home with the knowledge that whatever it is, you will still be okay.
{{{{{{{{May}}}}}}}}

May Voirrey said...

Intellectually I understand the logic behind the battery of tests, but the worry nags and nibbles at the edges of my brain anyway. The doctor told me she wanted to rule out the worst possible scenario, but she did point out that I have something like eight out of ten symptoms indicating something serious.

The thing is, with me, it always ends up being nothing--or nothing that can be diagnosed. Except for the time it turned out to be bipolar disorder.

Whatever this turns out to be, I hope it can and will be diagnosed so I can get some relief from the pain. It's wearing me out.

(wags finger in admonishment) Go to bed, Lynn...

Spilling Ink said...

I understand, May. These things are scary. I don't know what all your symptoms are, but I am familiar with abdominal pains, fatigue and the 'uterine brick'. For me, it is a by-product of (and I'm probably not spelling this right) 'mittleschmertz'. It's an ovulation thing. It's not serious, but it IS kinda miserable sometimes. Women who have this problem can sometimes get (almost always non-cancerous) ovarian cysts, too. Hang in there, May. I know this must be very difficult. I can say what I like to comfort you, but I freak out with stuff like that, too. Very anxiety provoking for me. I'm sending the best good thoughts for abundant health for you. :-)
{{{{{{{{May}}}}}}}}