Sunday, April 26, 2009

Facebook and me

It has been just over a week since I joined Facebook. After searching for everyone I know or ever knew, I concluded the following:


  • I'm not really friends with most of the people on my friends list
  • The best way to find the Facebook help information you need is to Google it.
  • Groups suit me better than friends. I joined something like 15-20 groups and pages.
  • There is a Facebook page for Adam's Peanut Butter and that is fabulous.
  • People seem to believe they are so original, they should start a group for whatever occurs to them. The overwhelming majority of these people start groups before checking to see that there are already 35 other groups with the same name about the same thing started by other original thinkers.
  • Actually finding someone from my past usually leaves me with a very melancholy feeling.
  • Social networking makes me feel anxious, not happily connected.
I'm going to start my own new groups:

  • "Stop talking about the goddamn NFL day in and day out, as if it's the only sport on the planet, especially when it isn't even football season."
  • "The NFL draft is not worthy of being the lead story on the evening news."
  • "Professional sports are entertainment and therefore should merit no more than three minutes out of an entire newscast, and should only show up in the final five minutes."

May is cranky and sad and should go to bed. As she heads down the creaky hallway, she ponders the questions: How can people claim to love you if they let months or years lapse between calling or taking your calls plus they never even acknowledge your email? Can you love someone about whom you have no interest? Can you miss someone when they're gone if it never occured to you to check if they were still around?

No comments: