Monday, April 20, 2009

The fragrance never left my memory

Hyacinth. Hyacinths have been popping up in my garden for a couple of weeks now. It’s been disconcerting, to say the least.

I love hyacinths. The fragrance they bring is intoxicating, and the colors are the first to appear in the drab winter garden.

Disconcerting. Troubling. Not the flowers so much as the name. Hyacinths were one of the first things I planted in the garden as a child. They are a favorite, yet I couldn’t come up with the name. I waited three weeks to try to remember, but finally I gave up and did a Google search this morning: early spring bulbs fragrant.

This is not an isolated incident. It started when I began taking lithium, and it never improved. No, the word-finding problem is worse than ever. The short-term memory gaps are increasing and that’s frightening.

I’m going to end up like Guy Pearce in Memento. "Hyacinth" will be the first word tattooed onto my body. With a picture. Maybe scratch-n-sniff.

3 comments:

Laurel said...

increase your folic acid. seriously.

May Voirrey said...

Alas, that's already part of my pill-swallowing protocol. The psychiatrist had me start on folate supplements two years ago. I tried increasing the dosage, but I had side-effects.

Laurel said...

well, if it makes you feel any better I forgot the word "censorship" after having read a chapter on it a few nights before. I'm sure there's something Freudian here -- I just can't remember what it is.